The following is a course description of the Learning Essentials class and the Career Related Standards that apply to the course.
Teachers: Phil Gibson, Ann Hendrick, Liz Worthington
Joy Fults, Julie Haugen, Vince Giannini, Brittaney Cocciolo
When you are enrolled in Learning Essentials you will be provided opportunities to:
1) Work on assignments for your academic classes.
2) Improve your study skills and task management.
3) Make progress towards meeting your IEP goals.
This course supports the Career-Related Learning Standards designed by the State of Oregon. Students are graded on their proficiency and progress towards meeting these standards. Please read the standards on the back of this contract.
1) Maintain an orderly, productive classroom where you can do your best work.
2) Be available to help you with your school work and help you find resources.
3) Assist you in organizing your work load and prioritizing your study tasks.
4) Provide individualized instruction according to IEP goals.
1) Bring your class work and all materials for assigned work.
2) Have a study plan at the beginning of the period. Know what you are going to work on and be prepared.
3) Be on time. We will follow the school’s tardy policy. If all body parts are not physically in the door when the bell rings you are tardy.
4) Show up. Attendance is very important to your school success.
5) Bring a note from your teacher if you need to be excused to work on projects in another classroom during Learning Essentials. Most teachers do not like to be interrupted during class time so we won’t release you without a note showing that your teacher is expecting you.
6) Work diligently to make progress on your IEP goals.
7) Communicate with us if you start to feel overwhelmed or frustrated. We can help you organize and prioritize tasks. We can also help you approach your teacher for help or to discuss an issue such as a deadline or an accommodation.
PASS / NO PASS GRADING:
You will receive .5 elective credit each term for passing Learning Essentials. You will be given points daily for meeting the Career-Related Learning Goals designed by the State of Oregon. There is no additional homework for this class. Off-task or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Other arrangements for your study time will be arranged.
A studious classroom will be maintained for the benefit of all.
Student Signature ___________________ Parent Signature_____________________
Career-Related Learning Standards
The State of Oregon has determined these fundamental skills as essential for success in employment, college, family and community life. Special Education courses will require students to demonstrate progress towards proficiency in the following standards:
PERSONAL MANAGEMENT: Exhibit appropriate work ethic and behaviors in school, community and workplace.
Identify tasks that need to be done and initiate action to complete the tasks.
Plan, organize and complete projects and assigned tasks on time, meeting agreed upon standards of quality.
Maintain regular attendance and be on time.
Maintain appropriate interactions with colleagues.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Apply decision-making and problem-solving techniques in school, community and workplace.
Identify problems and locate information that may lead to solutions.
COMMUNICATION: Demonstrate effective communication skills to give and receive information in school, community, and workplace.
Locate, process, and convey information using traditional and technological tools.
Give and receive feedback in a positive manner.
Read technical/instructional materials for information and apply to specific tasks.